Sunday, January 24, 2010

I've got it!

Some people like peanut butter and pickle sandwiches, some prefer roast beef, last night em and I went to an old theater in madison to see Yo La Tengo. Wikipedia explains the name,
" They chose the name "Yo La Tengo" (Spanish for "I've got it!") in an effort to avoid any connotations in English. The name came from a baseball anecdote. During the 1962 season, New York Mets center fielder Richie Ashburn and Venezuelan shortstop Elio Chacón found themselves colliding in the outfield. When Ashburn went for a catch, he would scream, "I got it! I got it!" only to run into Chacón, who spoke only Spanish. Ashburn learned to yell, "¡Yo la tengo! ¡Yo la tengo!" instead. In a later game, Ashburn happily saw Chacón backing off. He relaxed, positioned himself to catch the ball, and was instead run over by left fielder Frank Thomas, who understood no Spanish and had missed a team meeting that proposed using the words "¡Yo la tengo!" as a way to avoid outfield collisions.[2] After getting up, Thomas asked Ashburn, "What the heck is a Yellow Tango?" "

For the shows that I've seen, I think this was the first one I saw as an adult. Em felt the same way too while discussing the show in our kitchen afterwards. Things that made me feel like an adult:
1. We went with our other super-famous friends, mark and missy, and stayed together as a group the whole time. No one got lost or cried in the bathroom.
2. we arrived late instead of seeing the opening band. After years of seeing opening acts, I know what I want to see, and sometimes you spin the opening-act wheel of consequences and win, other times I lose my hearing to some mock-up of a band that I don't like. last night I decided I'd rather enjoy the conversation with our friends over some act I've never heard. Sounds like I'm turning into a fuddy-duddy already.
3. We all brought earplugs, but didn't need them for most of the show.
4. we sat in the upper tier, and liked it like that. My days of being up front aren't over, it was just the kind of show i enjoyed sitting down.
5. None of us had to work the next day, or drive a long distance. Although it would have been worth it if that had been the case for me.

We didn't take any pictures, nor did we record the shows audio, sorry crew.

No comments: