Wednesday, November 21, 2007

bangkok



don't worry, em and I aren't always atop this camode.
okay, here's em and I standing on a bridge about1 km south of our guesthouse. It's hot but nice. 'how is your trip so far?' you say, and I say back, like a dream, almost real, but not.
We slept on the plane, me with my head against the window and emily sleeping a bit more solidly, on my sholder. The food was funny and I got to see some throw away films that I decided were produced to be resold to airlines so they could have images that weren't any spicier than the food. The highlight was watching transformers, not only for the childhood nastalgia, but in retrospect, it helped prepare me mentally for what was to come.
It's tough to describe this place. many things here transform. the mid 80's scooter that you might see in the paper for $350 is turned into a taxi, or a 100 cc motorcycle turns into a truck, carying three large propane tanks on the back. the flagship of the streets out here, in my humble opinion is the tuk-tuk. imagine a motorized garden cart- a 3 wheeler, and add some rails, a vinyl top and a tired looking, fear-inducing-machine-of-a-man who floats effortlessly between a bus and an oncoming taxi, and there you have a tuk-tuk. 6 million people and there ain't much traffic, maybe due to fear of getting hit or maybe everyone rides the bus.
our hotel has made a great comand post and the ladies at the front desk are encyclopedic with knowledge of trains, busses, and english. the food is fantasyic, although only one dish so far has lived up to my expectations of spiciness. you can walk down the sidewalk, which every thai vendor has a right to use, and they use it, smell the most amazing dish, and in the middle of your inhale, get a big whomping by the rotting green canal.
we leave tomorrow for kanchanaburi which is west of bagkok, and will take about 2 hours. It's a smaller town with a 7 tiered waterfall which is about 1 hour from kanchanaburi and then few km hike will take us to the top to go swimming. we will return to bangkok on monday and get our visas for viet nam. then we will be heading north to mae sot and a little town south of there known for it's excellent hiking.
let it be known that there are a few things here that differ from the U.S. the best example of this is in this picture that I will spend the rest of my time on this computer loading. Yes, this is a toilet. the wider spots are for your feet. the hose and spray nozzle that you might use to cleen off dishes cleans off your undercarrage. Point of irony: this product is made by none other than AMERICAN STANDARD toilet company.
special props go out to jeremy foust for hookin up the travel boxers, and I wish I brought the visine you sent-the exaust is thick.

word to the bird


gavin

5 comments:

Jacob and Carlee Loya said...

Vendors taking over the street! No!
Not when that forces me into moving traffic. This delicate balance has been our biggest argument. When do we actually feel confident that the sidewalk can be used.
What is this squatter placed above the floor? I like the ones that are a couple inches into the floor so that a nice pool of goodness can form on the outer ring.
And have you seen people just hanging out on the street? They are squatting. It just comes naturally.
However, I have yet to actually need to squat. I pledge to not become a squatarella in this life.
You guys are awesome!
-Jake

Alex said...

Hola Supreme Commander Cecilia,
Effing Bangkok? I mean, it sounds like your bf there is into spicy food and all, but don't they have any World Markets where you live? You know, I just watched a program on the National Geographic channel where this North American couple was abducted and burned to death just a little bit north of Bangkok after trying to buy some diamonds or some other precious stones. But other than random kidnappings and immolations I hear it is an absolutely beautiful place. And, who can argue with a name like "Bangkok", that's got two of my favorite words rolled up in a nice little package. So, yeah, that's like awesome and stuff.
Gavin, I hope you're not Baptist, for your sake. Emily, I expect to see more pictures and soon otherwise I will be offended beyond reconcile. And you never sent me any socks.

Bye,
Alex

Jacob and Carlee Loya said...

here is the biggest problem i have discovered with the squatter...losing circulation to my lower legs. you gotta be quick man, down & out. if you hang, you're going to fall over or worse, fall back into the trough. one time, i started seeing spots. i'm not joking. beware of losing consciousness on the squat, nothing good can come of it oi. C

Unknown said...

Wow.. Em.. miss you, so excited you are traveling again! Will you be in India.. I will be there in February! ahhh.. can't wait, so much to catch up on..maybe we'll be able to do it abroad :-)

So if the toilets are American... I am wondering where are they made??

many hugs to you.. Happy thanksgiving!
-Alyssa

john said...

mouse-
make sure you shoot gavin the heads up before you hit the leg-numbing latrine. emily w/ no walls? count me out. Cant wait to read this thing everyday it gets updated. love you
Gavin-
Write down some secrets to those tasty thai treats, and share them w/ me upon your return. and by share them i clearly mean cook for me. word of advice. if you are w/ my big sister and you are being ubducted because of those diamonds you found, just sing them that little american folk song we always sing around the fire. starts out.."lemonade, lemonade, tastes so good its like liquid shade..hey hey..its lemonade". i love you my son.
john